Thursday, October 31, 2013

me like books


I like books.  I love to read.  I used to love my job because it allowed me to focus on books and the love of reading.  I don’t get to do that for my job anymore for reasons that would get me fired for expressing publicly.  So, I will post my book thoughts on my blog. 

What's the best book I've read recently?

Defending Jacob is still stuck in my head from last spring.  It raises a lot of interesting questions.  How well to parents really know their children?  If I was a parent with a disturbed kid, what is my obligation to protect that kid?  What is my obligation to protect society?  If Jacob had been allowed to grow up, he would have turned into the psycho in Gone Girl.  Lots of crazy in these last two book club selections.

What's the best book I've read ever?   Let’s continue the list:


1)      I have to mention the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon again.   In fact, I am currently re-reading the series in preparation for the upcoming television series.  Say it with me, people:  This series better not suck.  Part of me is excited that something I enjoy so much is about to be shown to a lot of people.  Part of me is worried other people won't love it as much as I do.  I think that's why I never really told people about the books.  Aside from the fact that they're very difficult to explain, I think I would be upset if someone else didn't love it as much as I did.


2)       I know it's corny, but I love the Little House on the Prairie series.  I've read the original books.  I've read some of the new series.  I've watched the TV show more times than I can count.  I think my affection for Anne of Green Gables stems from a similar place. There is something about that simpler time that is appealing.


3)       I have always loved Star Wars.  Not the newest trilogy.  The original, 1977/1980/1983 movies.  From that, Timothy Zahn wrote a series that picks up after Return of the Jedi.  Heir to the Empire is fantastic, and he reinvigorated the franchise's novels, in my humble book geek opinion.  There have been many series spun off from what Zahn started.  Disney takes the reigns of Star Wars soon.  Say it with me:  If the Mouse screws up my childhood, I'll be upset.


4)      For fear of my English degree going up in flames, I am almost ashamed to admit that I love, love, love Janet Evanovich’s Stephanie Plum novels.  They are pedestrian.  They are total intellectual comfort food.  They are silly.  They are goofy.  They are formula.  They are the baggy sweatshirt and pajama pants that I wear on the weekends.  I love them.  I laugh out loud every time I read one.  I read five of them in eight days.  She is a bounty hunter the way I would be a bounty hunter.  Very "trample the weak, hurdle the dead."  None of us are really bad-asses.  We're all just getting by.  Her other novels show hints of the same elements, but they can't compete with Stephanie Plum. 

No comments:

Post a Comment